We are looking for children to participate in a research project run which is by Pearson Clinical over the coming months to assess children’s language skills using the new CELF-P3 to gather results to obtain normative data. Doing this assessment is free and should take 30 – 90 mins and you will receive a pack of three children’s books worth $40 plus a $30 supermarket gift card just for participating!
To nominate your child to participate in this project, please go to the online nomination link to submit your application. Please fill in “Kids Chatter Speech Pathology” when asked where you found out about this project so that children are assigned to the correct clinic. If you are not local to our Kids Chatter Speech Pathology clinic in Indooroopilly, Brisbane, you can still nominate your child to participate as there are other Speech Language Pathologists around Australia and New Zealand who are part of this research project, so you will be allocated to the closest Speech Language Pathologist to you.
Who can participate?
- Children must be able to take the test in the standard manner
- Children must understand and speak English as their primary (most often used in the home ) language
- Children must use spoken language to communicate
- Corrected vision acceptable i.e. a child who wears glasses
- Children with a history of premature birth acceptable for ages 4 and up
- Children with colour blindness acceptable
Who cannot participate?
- Children who cannot take the tests in a standardised manner
- Children with a history of ear infections (i.e. 4 or more ear infections/year in the past 2 years)
- Children aged 3 years to 3 years 11 months with a history of premature birth
- Children diagnosed with a language delay/language disorder/at-risk
- Children diagnosed with hearing impairment, aided or unaided
- Children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Children diagnosed with a Learning Disability in the areas of reading and writing
- Children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder
- Children diagnosed with motor impairments (e.g. Cerebral Palsy)
- Children diagnosed with a cognitive impairment
- Children who have been administered the CELF-P2 or CELF-5 in the last twelve months
What to expect when your child attends our clinic to participate
Once your child has been selected to participate, you will receive a call from our receptionist at Kids Chatter Speech Pathology to arrange a suitable day and time to attend our clinic in Indooroopilly (if you are not local to us in Indooroopilly, another clinic will be in contact with you). We will email you confirmation of your appointment time and send you an SMS reminder a few days before your scheduled time as well.
When you arrive for your appointment, your child will be taken into one of our therapy rooms by one of our Speech Language Pathologists and you are welcome to sit in and observe. Your child will be asked to answer questions by pointing at pictures or giving verbal responses. All questions and tasks will be age-appropriate for your child. Depending on the child’s age and speed of responding to the questions, it can take between 30 – 90 minutes all up.
Once the assessment has been completed, you will receive your pack of children’s books to take home and enjoy.
About the assessment
The CELF is the Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals which is a language assessment that is used all around America, Australia and New Zealand. The 3rd edition for the Preschool age ranges is currently being finalised and normative data from children around Australia and New Zealand is being collected from January to October 2020.
This assessment is for us to gather results to obtain standardised data and to “test the test” and is not to be used for diagnosis of your child’s language skills.
Please help us in sharing this post with your friends to find a variety of children to participate in this project. Feel free to share it with your school and other parents with children between the ages of 3 years to 7 years.
Please contact us on 0432 735 044 or email@example.com for more information.
To nominate your child, complete the online application here.
We look forward to being part of this exciting project with you!